Lint and Dust

I have a painting that has a huge amount of lint and dust particles stuck on it.

There are large passages of the painting that I thinly oiled-out but didn’t get to work on in that single session and I foolishly didn’t wipe away the excess oil in those areas. I may or may not have done that once or twice more on other areas and now the whole painting is basically a dryer sheet. Please don’t judge :stuck_out_tongue:

Aside from using a solvent and a cloth to wipe away each spec I was wondering if anyone had some other miracle solution for removing them.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

This is something that I have (annoyingly) dealt with in the past. In my case, I take two pieces of 600-800 grit sandpaper and rub them together until they are (fairly) smooth (obviously you can just buy a “higher” grit but I like to control the grit in the manner described.) With this grit-reduced paper i just wiped over the areas that are affected with excessive lint/debris. Much of the debris “rolls” out or is lifted off with no scuffing or marring to the area. This works for me quite well, but as with every new process–this should be practiced elsewhere first.

Hope this helps!

6 Likes

Thank you! This sounds good. I will give it a try.

I was having a lot of dust and I started keeping all my brushes in a plastic cart with drawers so that they are not always in the open. This really helped especially on the mop brushes. The other thing is I have a german shepherd that has an orb cloud of hair surrounding him. I wear a windbreaker type thing when I paint because it doesn’t hold on to the hair. And I noticed this helped me a lot too.

8 Likes

I have two large greyhounds whose hair always seems to land in my work. The sandpaper technique has never worked for me. I plan to have a pair of tweezers handy to pick out the hairs while the paint is still wet. Best solution would be no dogs in the studio! A bit more dusting and sweeping would be of help also…:Ho hum…

2 Likes

Just seeing this Diane… another goid idea is those plastic tubes as ling as brushes are dry!