Practice Hacks 8 by Noa Kageyama, Ph.D

While this guide was written for musicians—the concepts are quite applicable to visual artists. There is a slight bit of misrepresentation in the beginning regarding the work of K. Anders Ericsson (placing more emphasis on the 10,000 hours rather than the content of practice time—a pet peeve of mine), but I assure you that some great tips for deliberate practice follow.

"Does it ever feel like in spite of all your hard work, you’re not progressing as rapidly as you should? Or perhaps you’ve hit a plateau and can’t find a way to get to the next level?

It’s not just your imagination. And don’t worry – it’s not a sign that you’ve reached the limits of your ability either. Not by a long shot.

The truth is that not all practice is created equal. Some approaches are much more effective than others." -The Bulletproof Musician

5 Likes

I really enjoyed this resource. I’m going through the steps listed in the article to make sure I’m working efficiently.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I especially find practice hacks #4, #6, #7 and #8 in the above guide describe strategies that I already use for my 30-minute alla prima works. A significant focus of mine for such exercises is to experiment with, and automatize effective abstraction (simplification/distilling) strategies to promote attributes of constancy (in other words, trying to get better at distilling objects down to promote seemingly-invariant conceptual features that are essential to successful visual communication of an object as opposed to the unnecessary, the redundant, or the transient.)

2 Likes