Spiral Finial

Was working on a sketch of a twisted metal finial tonight and screwed up the final bar (?). I sketched in the path is should have taken. Or maybe I put the angle on the wrong side? The back spiral was hard to see. Is there a way to lay out something like this with lots of spirals without resorting to a drafting table? I could have done it using t-square, etc but for me that takes the enjoyment out of a simple sketch. Does anyone have suggestions for doing semi-even spirals?

3 Likes

Maybe try drawing the shapes between the metal, the negative spaces and keep the drawing very light until you feel good about it. I am always forgetting to do that.

4 Likes

Jaylene took the words right out of my mouth.

Remember that the way that we are perceiving something can have a great deal to do with how we are able to replicate a percept of that subject. Here is a VERY simple example of this:

Some people tend to have a much harder time drawing figure “A” when perceived as a geometric solid in perspective as opposed to a kite in slight perspective.

So in this case, while the metal swirl/spiral form may not have the same type of ambiguity that the kite has—you can shift your positive to negative assignments (foreground/background) just as Jaylene suggests.(just like the examples of the two faces and the vase–aquick shift of foreground background reveals two different perceptions.)

So with a subject similar to yours I would switch my assignments of foreground and background to make sure that neither was drifting away from the relationship they hold in the original percept.

Hope this helps!!! :smiley:

7 Likes

This approach of analysis and “deconstruction” certainly helps me, so thank you for your question, Elizabeth, and your answer, Anthony! :+1:

2 Likes

Awesome explanation. I will have to try an practice “switching” as I draw. I guess this is why I ask these crazy things. A new good way to develop neuroplasticity [unrelated note - guess spell check doesn’t have this concept in it’s dictionary] and a new skill to try.

3 Likes