Feedback on videos of art concepts

Hi all

After a lot of introspection, I’ve come to the realization that my biggest passions in art are learning and teaching. The greatest joys I’ve had in art have all taken place in a classroom, whether as a student or teacher. One thing I particularly love is learning complex concepts and then figuring out simple ways to explain them to people. I particularly love this for topics where there’s a lot of misinformation and/or misunderstanding.

So, I’ve recently started dabbling with video to explain some of the concepts I’ve found confusing, or my students have found confusing. I’m starting with short videos to explain a single concept. My goal is to find the most clearest way to explain a single concept. I expect to have to iterate to get to that goal, though.

I’m new to both making videos and to explaining some of these concepts through video, so I’d love feedback on some of the videos I’m making.

If you’re not familiar with the concept in the video:

• Did the concept explained in the video make sense? Do you have questions, or was some part confusing?
  • Was this useful or helpful? Did it clear up anything you were confused about?
  • What other questions or feedback do you have? About either the video or the content.

If you are familiar with the concept in the video:

• Do you have suggestions on how to explain more clearly?
  • Any technical feedback? Anything incorrect, or that you disagree with?
  • What other questions or feedback do you have? About either the video or the content.

For the first video, here’s a concept I didn’t understand for a long time and some of my students had questions about—what the heck are highlights? This is a rough draft of the video. I need to work out some of the timing and may adjust some of the renders. Happy for feedback on anything in the meantime, though! I also may add another part at the end demonstrating the same concept on a more complex form than a sphere.