Frightfully pointy pencils

(Sigrid Junold Käppeler) #1

curious to hear whether any of you peeps uses pencils sharpened to a very long point for drawing. the idea is to remove wood from the business end of the pencil, using a cutter, to expose a few cm of the graphite core. this exposed portion is then patiently sharpened to a needle-like point using sandpaper.
i’ve been going some value sphere exercises using H and 2H pencils sharpened thus. it does seem to afford a high degree of control over the pencil. has anyone else out there tried it and liked it?

(Anthony Waichulis) #2

This is a great topic to explore Sigrid. Now are you talking about compressed charcoal/pastel pencils or graphite (or both?) I’d like to put together a write-up with some helpful graphics that details some of the advantages and disadvantages of hard (high-binder content) tools and the “needle-point.”

(Sigrid Junold Käppeler) #3

hi anthony!
my entire needlepoint experience to date (three whole days so far!) has been with graphite. first try with an old faber castell H (for whittling practice) and then on to the probably superior staedtler mars lumograph. been playing around with creating value spheres using just H and 2H, on a 180g/sqm paper with medium/fine tooth.

i’d like to try this technique with charcoal pencils and also with vine charcoal, which is probably very easy to sand into a point.

looking forward to your write-up - they’re always a fount of knowledge :+1:t3:

(Anthony Waichulis) #4

OK I added a article on these types of pencil points Sigrid. It grew into something more robust than I initially intended but the exploration was fun. Hope you like it!