Carlo Dolci Copy

Sure - I’d certainly be interested to look at the tutorial you mention. yes, my problem in the main was rushing it, so all my own doing, and once the likeness was ruined I didn’t feel like spending time rendering it out. So I intend at some point to just do a study of the face, and also that hand you mention (stunning isn’t it!), then I wont feel so pressed to get a move on in order to realise the whole piece.

Incidentally, this seems to stick out for me as Dolci’s best work, not a great amount of the others are anywhere near as impressive in my opinion, it has that delicate combination of softly rendered good looks, dramatic pose and chiaroscuro which I really enjoy. Although I would happily leave the stars/halo out (and almost did).

I’d probably like to do a Mona Lisa face too come to think of it, just to see if I can hit the sfumato about the eyes on the right note. Although too many ideas, too little time at present.

I posted a thread about Tom Keating the other day, if you scroll down on that - the episodes regarding Titian and Rembrandt are very heavy on glazes and scumbles which you may well be interested in checking out, they’re quite short.

Thanks for the kind words!