How to pack and ship artwork- Red Dot Blog

I came across this article on Red Dot blog on how to pack and ship art. I thought it was pretty solid information, although I didn’t agree with wrapping a painting in plastic without a paper or glassine barrier. (See step #1) Hope someone will find this useful!

How to Ship Paintings | A Step-by-Step Guide for Artists and Galleries - RedDotBlog)

3 Likes

Good info Nat! Thanks!

There a place an hour from me that makes fantastic art boxes and also ships. When I had to ship my painting to Spain for the show I use this great international shipper from NY that was so much cheaper than FedEx or anybody. The art box that I picked up was amazing and you don’t have to do any packing because everything is in the box and it’s made for anywhere you want to ship and it goes international without having to build a custom crate if you have a big paintings!

2 Likes

Here’s another post we put together on this where you can see my fat face and hands trying to pack something. LOL!

https://www.smartermarx.com/t/packing-a-drawing-or-painting-for-shipping/161

1 Like

Hi Nanci–
What is the name of the company you used? Is it Grosso’s Art Packing and Shipping in NJ? They’re supposed to be amazing- they are shipping a piece for me to the MEAM for s show this fall. I hope it’s the same guys since you had such a positive experience.

1 Like

Beautifully packed-- adding a note for the client is a classy move. I may have to start adding the pipe insulation around the frame. Are you all building your own wood crates? Something I’ve wanted to try!

1 Like

Yes. They are great! But their shipping was much higher than Sergio. Everyone that I spoke to said there was no comparison. Lesley Thiel hooked me up with his info as she used him. My painting got there in 3 days with him! Here is a screen shot from my email for his contact info. I think grossis may use him as they asked for his info And I was trying to hook him up to get him another client. He told me that they did contact him but I’m not sure it’s a date if they are using him. I will go directly to the source unless they are using him and it’s the same rate. To ship my 30 x 30, it was 671 one-way only because of all the logistics and paperwork coming out and it was duty-free added in which is what the museum requested. Coming back it should be cheaper in the 475 range.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much Nanci! Appreciate all the info <3

1 Like

Your welcome Natalie!!! :hibiscus::heavy_heart_exclamation::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::purple_heart: