My gradation patterns

Here’s the first page of gradation patterns, charcoal only on white paper, i wonder if applying white pastel or talkum powder will further smooth things out, will have to experiment on the side.
03%20PM
25%20PM

1 Like

Not a bad start Pranavjit, the ability to manipulate certain materials so as to recreate an experience of perceiving form and volume is a vital skill for the representationalist. I would encourage you to really spend a good amount of deliberate practice here.

Here’s a little more on the navigation of our gradation block challenges:

There are some people that have been able to successfully complete our exercises with a dark materials (graphite here) on white paper:

2 Likes

here is the 5th one, the printed worksheet is sortoff inaccurate when compared to what’s on screen, so i more or less followed the screen. unlike the last four i haven’t smoothed this one with a paper stump (i find it too unreliable, the accumulated charcoal on it is a problem) but i overused the pencil and kneaded eraser. later i will experiment with dry brush,

Alright, page 2 of gradations done, this time i spent about 5 hours on each gradation, literally fixing milometers of area at a time. My phone camera is absolutely horrible, so here you go, 6,7,8 are one long continuous gradation.

as you can see from the 7th gradation at how the printer failed to print accurately, so i more or less follewed what was on screen.

1 Like

Last page of gradations done! the prineted worksheet was really unreliable and i used the pdf anyway so i comped them with the image version rather than the printed version.

1 Like

heres all of them

2 Likes

here’s the last 4, really enjoyed this

2 Likes