Time lapse videos

Hi All,

I was looking into doing time lapse videos of paintings and came across this useful article that mentions an app called ‘Lapse It’. I gave it a go just recording myself pottering round in the studio. The app is simple to use and you can download it for apple and android phones. Free with slightly reduced functions which I used fine or a bit more for full version.

My first attempt : -

The article : -

10 Likes

A FANTASTIC post and resource John! Thank you~~~~

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks! And a fellow lefty!!!

2 Likes

Me too! Should we have a special section just for lefty’s? :relaxed:

2 Likes

The category will have to go on the left of the menu :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol. Sounds good to me. :smiley:

Good stuff. I’m also experimenting with some time lapse videos - there is a setting on the iPhone camera to generate a time lapse video (oddly enough called Time Lapse), which has a pretty neat adaptive algorithm that seems to always generate a 20-40 second video regardless of the recording time of the original. Works pretty well, but I wish I could turn off auto-focus and auto-white balance adjustment.

2 Likes

Ah cool. Didn’t know that as don’t have an iPhone mines android. This one simple enough with the focus although only look at this after

2 Likes

Thanks John, I’ll take a look. I’m also researching a decent webcam to do this work, and I’m looking at spend about $100 for it. I’ll circle back once I’ve made a decision.

2 Likes

There may be a timelapse category all of its own at this rate if we all start recording pieces. Or perhaps upload the to WIPs category. I look forward to seeing what people produce.

1 Like

I think a speed painting gallery would be kinda cool. I know there’s a lot of possibilities in doing that kind of video. Here’s a little one I did last month: https://youtu.be/KCwNdoUW8Qk

2 Likes

Jeff that is an awesome video. If you guys like I will add a “time-lapse” category under tutorials. Jeff you would like to share this video there?

1 Like

I added it so you guys can feel free to start populating if you like! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds good to me similar to WIPs people get an insight into people’s process and technique. In fast bite size chunks.

1 Like

Yuppers - done.

That is the option I use and it works pretty well…except for the auto stuff. They will probably address that in the next toy!

1 Like

While we are all on the video page, There is neat tripod, iphone holder, and remote bluetooth gadget that you can get, if you all don’t have one. It is put out by RIF6 that can mount flexibly on an easel or stand so you can get cloe timelapse. I used to use a tripod and was painting over the setup!!! Bad to do lol.

It is 12.99 on Amazon!

4 Likes