Composition help

I am not sure if I’m convinced on this composition. What do YOU think?

(1) The drips were not planned (i.e. real accidental drips). Should I cover them, or do they add a nice “organic” element visually?
(2) Should I lighten the value of the ghost silhouette and make it less prominent?
(3) Should I lighten the value of the larger whitish box in the upper right part of the painting?
(4) Should I make the vertical gray box in the low center a bright hot pink?

Perhaps I asked too much at once, but I was trying to be specific so I wouldn’t be just vaguely asking, “help?!”
Thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

Numbers correspondong to question areas.

1 Like

Hey John! What a cool piece! (and yes, the corresponding number image definitely helps–thank you.)

(1) The drips were not planned (i.e. real accidental drips). Should I cover them, or do they add a nice “organic” element visually?’

I personally do not see the drips as problematic. To be honest, they look intentional. If you like the organic nature they add then by all means keep them.

(2) Should I lighten the value of the ghost silhouette and make it less prominent?

Do you want it less prominent? Then a reduction in contrast would be the ticket. However, it would depend on how much weight you might want to give it in terms of likely focal attention. Remember that you only contribute in part to what an observer may look at (and controlling contrast is a good way to determine that contribution.) As Yarbus states, "“…In conclusion, I must stress once again that the distribution of the points of fixation on an object, the order in which the observer’s attention moves from one point of fixation to another, the duration of fixations, the distinctive cyclic pattern of examination, and so on are determined by the nature of the object and the problem facing the observer at the moment of perception.”

(3) Should I lighten the value of the larger whitish box in the upper right part of the painting?

Again, how much attention would you like it to have? There is no inherent “should” here.

(4) Should I make the vertical gray box in the low center a bright hot pink?

LOL! If you want it to have that kind of attention on it then sure–bright “hot” pink might be the way to go. :wink:

2 Likes

Anthony,
Thanks for the reply, your input, and for the kind and useful words!

Regarding what I want… lol, I’m not sure. I was hoping to crowdsource my opinion. :slight_smile:

On #1, I think it just threw me off when the drips happened, because it wasn’t planned, and they wouldn’t come out (just absorbed right into the paper), so I really didn’t get a choice there. I just had to make them adapt where needed, and then table the decision of whether to cover them.

On #2, I just wondered if the 4th face was too distracting from the other figures, or if it added more value as extra visual interest more than it detracted as a distraction from the figures (i.e. was the piece becoming too busy with it being that prominent?)

On #3, I thought lightening the box might add a virtual light source and make the image “brighter” or more visually interesting as a whole, but on reading the Yarbus quote, it might be better to revisit #3 after I make a decision on #2 (or after the crowd makes a decision, :slight_smile: ).

Also, in light of the Yarbus quote, definitely not #4 so the viewer will be most interested in the figures.

Hi John,

Hooe you are doing well!

What a cool painting!!! Great idea!!! I love it!!!

I don’t have any additions to Anthony’s comments as he is spot on. In the end, who is the star of the story? Everyone else is a co star :slight_smile:

In regards to the drips: I like accidents and the drips you are referring to work fine as they are not obvious in this composition. I happen to like juxtaposing texture with smooth to a certain degree. It doesnt work well on a super blended tight painting but great for looser works. But, it can be both as long as its not overdone. Yours is not:slight_smile:

I agree totally with Anthony about changing contrasts of background elements. Keeping contrast liw and edges more fused is what I like to do. I know we live in the 21st century, however, i look at the masters over the centuries and love their paintings and drawings. We can borrow a lesson or two from them and pull it into our own work in terms if balue structure, edges, chromatic hue control, and composition.

I hope that helps from my 3 cents:) Great piece!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Nanci! I appreciate the feedback. It is nice to hear that the drips aren’t bothering the viewer, and the input on the background elements is helpful!

1 Like