Self portrait exercise

Hi, Anthony,

I’m back with a new challenge for myself - a self study. Years ago, I completed one when I was given the assignment in my very first art class to read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It was remarkably poor, in respect to my observations and understanding of the use of light, marks, and shading to create the contours and planes of my face. I’m hoping that this current exercise demonstrates a clearer understanding of those principles. Anyway, I’m submitting my basic sketch, as I’ve gotten so far, here for some feedback, from you and my colleagues, with a look toward proportion, capturing the contours and planes of the face, and the honesty about what is seen in the mirror and what I have captured. I would appreciate any feedback you or anyone here cares to offer.

Thank you in advance for sharing and caring!

1 Like

It looks like a good start, stay away from details yet. Go for broad areas first.

1 Like

Thank you! I just saw this. I apologize for not replying sooner. I didn’t receive a notification. I’m continuing to work on this project and will post again in a few days. I look forward to hearing more feedback. Again, thank you!

1 Like