The Physics and Psychology of Colour - with Andrew Hanson

I stumbled upon this talk on colour and thought that some of you might find it interesting to have a look at.

Having worked as a colourist for a few years I am quite familiar with most of what is said in this presentation.

I have experienced first hand how subjective our colour perception really is when I was still colour grading feature films some 10 - 15 years ago, and just how much it depends on expectation among other things. Here’s an example: When a feature film is finished, the first film print, called a 0-print, is presented to the client in a cinema environment. Usually there will be requests for changes in colour (either warmer or cooler) as well as changes in brightness etc. The next screening, to sign off the changes, would be two to three days later. However, instead of wasting precious film stock, we simply showed them the same film print they saw earlier at the first screening (without telling them of course). Every single time the client was satisfied with the “second print” because they simply saw what they were expecting to see.

6 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you Peter. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Peter, it’s really interesting. Like you, I felt familiar with most things, except the reason the color blind spot is where he put the black dot…
Why is it there specifically, he didn’t explain (or maybe I didn’t understand?)
do you know?

1 Like

Hi Stella, the blind spot is where the optical nerve connects and hence there are no receptors in that area.

2 Likes