VIDEO SLIDESHOW/LECTURE:What Does Realistic Look LIke?

What Does Realistic Look Like?

Join Ani Art Academy Waichulis founder and renowned realist painter Anthony Waichulis for a penetrating look what we mean when we describe something as realistic. (approx. 95 minutes)

"Intended for visual artists, this presentation offers what I hope is an engaging exploration of what “realistic” truly means in terms of visual perception and communication. See how challenging your ideas on this topic may open up new avenues of creativity within your own artistic process.

"Due to the nature of my work I am often asked, “How do you get your paintings to look so realistic?” It’s a great question in the sense that it usually opens the door to an enjoyable conversation about art, visual perception, and a host of related topics that I find utterly fascinating. However, much of that ensuing conversation is determined by how the inquirer responds to a question that I pose in response to theirs, “What does realistic look like?

Based on Anthony’s 2018 paper available here:

http://anthonywaichulis.com/resources/

As well as the lectures given at the Ani Art Academy Waichulis and Illuxcon 2018.

Please feel free to send along your comments and feedback to Anthony at: yychuls@gmail.com

9 Likes

Awesome Anthony! Thank you!

Most of this also applies to animation. Motion can give away a lot about a subject like weight, size, consistency, etc. If that hatching dinosaur had been animated badly it could destroy the realism or at least alter the illusion.

2 Likes

Brilliant point Peter! Thank you— :+1:t2::grinning:

I did’t realize it until you talked about this, but I have been so afraid not to include into my paintings every detail. In doing so I overdid areas and added info to areas that I couldn’t see detail. I would even lighten or darken photographic images trying to see what was in an area to try to leave no spot to guess about what was there. I look forward to my next spot to paint that I can leave out information when it might make it more realistic. You definitely put the REALly good into realistic. Thanks for the video.

4 Likes

Diane, after you do this new experiment, please post to let us see the results!