Waaay too much time spent on this

This is called “Preserve” 12"x14" oil on panel. This one took me over a year. Probably an average of 6 hours a week. The toughest part is keeping motivation and objectivity. I’ve only been painting in this style for 4 years and hope to keep improving and going faster. I’d appreciate any constructive feedback.

Hope I’m doing this right as this is my first post :slight_smile:

16 Likes

OMG Mark I know this piece well!!! First–it’s freaking amazeballs. Honestly, it’s really a stunning masterclass in drawing, rendering, textures, and light. Second–this was one of my top picks as an ARC judge last year. I was totally bummed not seeing this somewhere in the top 3. Ugh. But hey, I get overruled often. LOL! Seriously, thank you for sharing this here. I know many will love seeing it. <3

I wish I had something constructive to offer but honestly, this really ticks all the boxes for me.

1 Like

I watched your progress pics on Instagram and remember being totally floored. In my opinion, this is perfect. It has just the right amount of contrast, the background has just enough blurriness to make the jar stand out, the texture of the glass tells me how thick it is, and Gumby is one cool dude! I’d say the hours spent are superfluous to the final result.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your super kind words Anthony. They mean just as much if not more than any award. Although I would have been ok with an award :).

I’m hoping I get a chance to attend your sleepover camp next year. Natalie was telling me to reach out to your assistant Anya.

1 Like

Thanks Holly!! I was thinking that people were getting tired of the process pics. It’s like my current piece which has been on the easel forever. My studio friends keep saying ‘just finish the f*ing thing!’

:star_struck:
Unbelievable piece. Nice, no… very fine work.

1 Like

I love it!

But more than that, I love the fact that you spent more than a year on it! I’ve been in a bit of an artistic funk lately, and this is just the sort of inspiration I need - thank you!

3 Likes

Thanks @deborah845800 :grinning: :grinning:

Thanks @SiBreen . We don’t all get the luxury of being able to spend that much time. I’m not showing in any galleries so I don’t have any demands which means I can paint whatever I want and take as much time as I want. I’m truly not a patient person but I decided when I started again 4 years ago that I’m going to paint my way and on my terms and not compromise. This was more important to me than my lack of patience. I’m learning every time I pick up my brush and will always keep my mind open to that. It’s a strong life goal of mine to be able to inspire others to find their own joy with art.

No constructive feedback here - only praise!!! I will say I am so impressed you stuck with this for years! That trumps my tenacity and I think of myself as a bulldog. INcredible!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Debra!

I’m looking forward to working on something that takes only a few months :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark, I’m not a painter and won’t pretend to have the appropriate words for a critique except to say that I could study your glass jars over and over to collect all the amazing light changes you’ve presented to portray such perfection. It is a wonderful piece and I agree with the others, it’s perfect. I, too, admire your tenacity. Thank you for sharing this!

2 Likes

Hi @KatherineC, I’m beyond words in appreciation for your comments. I’m very happy that you enjoy observing it.

1 Like

This is a fantastic piece! The textures are spot on and I can only imagine that they pop even more in person. I’m no stranger to spending “waaay too much time” on a single piece, but I’m always happy that I took the time and didn’t cut corners. I believe that great works come from forming ideas and seeing them through with complete disregard for any obstacles (time, cost, etc.), and this piece is proof.

2 Likes

Thank you @Slade for your amazing words. I’ve also got another piece that I’m working on that has already surpassed the amount of time that I spent on Gumby. The challenge for pieces like this (for me) becomes a real struggle of spending such a long amount of time and still trying to maintain the excitement and joy of working on it. This piece was finished probably over a year and a half ago and I’m just starting to be able to look at it with fresh eyes and appreciate it. Still not there but I know I will be. We were chatting today about an artist’s “magnum opus” and I thought that this was going to be it. Upon reflection I almost hope that it wasn’t, as the thought kind of closes the door for the future.

2 Likes