A. Waichulis: Play WIP images

Hi all–Here are a few WIP images that I shared on social media during the creation of “Play.”

Play, 16x20", Oil on Panel

7 Likes

Fantastic!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you painting from an actual still life set-up? Would love to see your reference.

1 Like

Blows my mind!!!

1 Like

Hey @TonyL—this painting was mostly photo-reference with some augmentation from life.

Amazing progress shots! Looks like you’re using colored pencils or pastels to paint😉
I’m wondering if you’re using small brushes, does the paint sometimes go up to the ferrule or the mixing is hard without using some fluid medium so that the paint application becomes easier? Do you use the same small brushes to mix your paint and does this make some damage to brush hair and how do you keep the brush hair without splaying?

1 Like

Thanks Yasser!!! I’m pretty mindful about pressure. I would never load the brush or use excessive pressure to the point where paint might gather within the ferrule. As to mixing, I almost always mix on the painting as I go (small dabs on the palette of course—but the real heavy lifting of material interaction is done on the panel.)

2 Likes

AWaichulis, if I’m understanding this correctly, you put a ballpark of certain single color, let’s say raw umber then you follow it with another color such as ivory black, as you go you do the same for the next form gradation and if you see some lighter color value you also put colors over the top of each other without mixing them on palette first, by lifting the excess with some white interaction and may be yellow and so on. That’s great technique and i guess this is done so that you don’t overestimate or underestimate passages by giving them more or less chroma. It’s difficult to guess withiut demo :thinking::disappointed:

If I’m also guessing correctly, your piles of colors are already being touched by the colors on your brush, so, the white pile is contaminated (metaphor:) ) on top or edges by the color already on your brush. It’s like spoon feeding. If I’m guessing right.

1 Like

I think that is a fair interpretation. If you look at my palette here when I was working on this little red figure–you can see how I would grab a small bit of the red and perhaps a touch of Titanium white and/or Naples yellow on the brush and then swirl a tiny mix to “ballpark”. I then adjust accordingly on the actual panel.

3 Likes

Fantastic, but I thought that you wouldn’t mix the white and naples into the red on the palette and that you pick each color without mixing first then put them on top of red to adjust the color on the panel. So, in this case you actually mix when there’s color adjustment. May be you used the red alone as a ballpark here because you felt its a match at first. I guess you would also mix if the ballpark doesn’t fit into a single color, like for example flesh colors, again if I’m not wrong in this in some way.

To be clear—any prep on the palette is more like choosing a certain color of pastel that is capable of producing an analog range that can be combined with other colors on the panel. I don’t premix in the sense of strings, Munsell steps, general locals, etc—but I certainly do grab multiple colors that are interspersed on the fly.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you for your deep clarification.

1 Like

My pleasure. I know that I have to make a video about all of this. I definitely plan to!

1 Like

Would definitely love to see this by video and employ on our process.

2 Likes