Adrian, 8x10”, oil

This is a comission I finished recently. Overall I’m happy with it but feel it’s a little over-cooked. Looking at progress shots I like it better a couple steps back.

8 Likes

I think it turned out great, Jake! But I’ve certainly also experienced where my progress shots feel better than the final.

Can you post some of the progress shots? I’d love to see what you’re comparing the final to. Plus I’d be interested in seeing them anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That looks great, well done.
The only advice I can offer is that the shadow densities don’t look consistent (my biggest problem). The shadow under the chin (on neck) and cheek/side of the head appear a lot lighter than the shadow side of the nose. Just a thought.

1 Like

WOAH! It looks fantastic Jacob. I think that it is almost impossible for the artists to NOT see his efforts through the lens of seemingly endless error-correcting. As someone who just came across the image I can say it that it did not read as something “over-cooked” at all. It comes across as a high-quality portrait executed with some impressive skills.

4 Likes

For the face I think I should have stopped somewhere around here. I might have but with a comission I still feel some pressure to ‘finish’ it.

4 Likes

Thank you! That’s definitely a downside of working one project at a time - it’s tough to see it objectively day after day.

1 Like

Jacob great job! Agree with Anthony! Does not look over cooked to me at all. I love the spirit and character you have captured on the boy! :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes