"Appeal" 8x8 Oil on Canvas

This little 8"x8" on canvas panel started out as a demo. Demonstrating a traditional painting technique of starting with a grisaille, and explaining the benefits of that approach. It sat for quite a while as a grisaille and a few brush marks and I decided to finish it. Was pretty happy with the result.

6 Likes

Another hit Mark!!! Beautifully done!

Do you by chance have an image of the grisaille stage??? I’d love to see it if you do. :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I went relatively detailed for a grisaille just for shits & giggles. I use Old Holland Raw Umber (in my opinion the only brand for Raw Umber) and bits of Titanium Zinc White. First toning the panel with Raw Umber. I usually leave lots of time for the white to dry while I contemplate any changes before painting. Then it’s mostly direct painting with bits of indirect thrown in at the end. On my other pieces that I posted I’ve been priming the panel with a mid-tone grey, drawing on that then filling it in much as you do (Anthony).

4 Likes

SOOOOOO awesome Mark!!! I did a few works and studies in college and art school that included a process utilizing a grisaille but it always seemed like a lot of extra work. As such I kinda bailed on it relatively quick. In any case—you’re definitely rocking the process here!!!

Fantastic—and thank you again for sharing!!!

2 Likes

I don’t normally do grisaille anymore. However if I’m teaching I find it a great way for someone to learn. Especially dealing with value within colour. And ya, it’s totally extra work that I’m not keen on. I think Tony Curanaj (spelling?) and James Hollingsworth use grisaille still. Working great for them. They’re a lot faster than me :slight_smile:

3 Likes