Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Session Follow-Up Newsletter (03-19-2023)

Greetings, you are receiving this newsletter because you are registered for our Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Sessions. We will be sending a follow-up newsletter like this after each session to highlight the key points discussed during the roundtable.

Please welcome a new member of the artist round table group - Corinne Geertsen.
“I assemble my works digitally from photos of my ancestors
and from my expanding archive of over 70,000 photos. It’s all about the remix. I’m on a constant photographic scavenger hunt, outfitting ancestors with backdrops, sidekicks, and belongings. I print my work myself in small editions on archival photo paper with pigment inks. My images are quirky visual narratives about psychological predicaments. I especially like a good plight. My art leans toward surrealism, as it has odd juxtapositions, non-sequiturs, and an element of surprise.
My work content mirrors personal, political, and global situations – in a sly way. My work is a packrat’s nest of things that are deeply a part of being alive: curiosity, humor, fear, rescue, individuality, and absurdity.”

Corinne Geertsen.

For more on Corinne and her work, please follow the LINK.

Please check out Debra Keirce’s interview about her commission work for The Langham Hotel, Boston. Debra was commissioned to create 11 original paintings for the hotel and talks about her inspirations in the interview.

Debra’s travel exhibit The Big and the Small of It is scheduled to be on display in Russell, KS this April. In this exhibition, Debra Keirce, Maria Bennett Hock, and Carrie Waller render representational paintings that highlight the ways the big and the small work together. Debra has palm-sized oil miniatures, some of which are hidden in boxes. Maria paints on large canvases that draw viewers in. Carrie paints everyday objects, elevating them to their most beautiful, larger-than-life presentation.
For the schedule of the exhibit, please follow the LINK.

One more show for Debra - The 32nd International Miniature Art Show at Seaside Art Gallery Nags Head, NC. There will be over 500 works of art on display. Show dates: April 29th - May 27th, 2023

Check this out! Natalie Featherston podcast/interview with Arts To Hearts Project - Why Are We So Hard On Ourselves As Artists. In this inspiring conversation between Natalie Featherston and Charuka Arora, they delve deep into the creative process and art. From discussing the Trompe l’oeil, art technique to still life painting, to self-doubt and imposter syndrome, they provide insight and advice on a range of topics. They also explore the importance of writing down ideas, staying inspired, organizing solo shows, and the impact of technology on the creative process. Natalie Featherston shares her experiences of overcoming fear and achieving her creative goals and offers valuable advice for aspiring artists. This conversation is sure to give listeners an appreciation for the creative process and provide valuable insights for any artist.

This past week Anthony mentioned a book about another international educational effort. It is titled “Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace - One School at a Time.
About the book: “Anyone who despairs the individual’s power to change lives has to read the story of Greg Mortenson, a homeless mountaineer who, following a 1993 climb of Pakistan’s treacherous K2, was inspired by a chance encounter with impoverished mountain villagers and promised to build them a school. Over the next decade, he built fifty-five schools—especially for girls—that offer a balanced education in one of the most isolated and dangerous regions on earth. As it chronicles Mortenson’s quest, which has brought him into conflict with both enraged Islamists and uncomprehending Americans, Three Cups of Tea combines adventure with a celebration of the humanitarian spirit.”

This week we also discussed a little bit about the history of artists’ copyright and the people that have fought for artists’ rights. Two of our group members were involved in some of these movements, Lori Pugh and Christine Young. One of the major issues discussed was the Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008. The bill was designed to provide limitations on the judicial branch from remedying copyright infringement cases remedying orphan works. Orphan works are copyrighted works for which the copyright owners cannot be identified and contacted. Essentially, the bill was reported to be aimed at limiting monetary compensation, to what was described to be a reasonable standard, for infringed work if the infringing party was unable to locate the owner of the work (“due diligence”).

Dozens of copyright groups opposed the measure, saying it encourages infringement. Copyright expert Lawrence Lessig was against it as well, stating that the bill was too vague when it comes to defining how “diligent” of an effort is required to locate a copyright owner before a work is infringed upon. Thankfully, there were many that fought to oppose this bill in order to protect the rights of artists, thus leading to the proposed bill dying a rather quiet death.

Roundtable member Christine Young also recommended a good read in this area titled “The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries of Trans-Atlantic“ by Peter Baldwin. About the book: “Today’s copyright wars can seem unprecedented. Sparked by the digital revolution that has made copyright―and its violation―a part of everyday life, fights over intellectual property have pitted creators, Hollywood, and governments against consumers, pirates, Silicon Valley, and open-access advocates. But while the digital generation can be forgiven for thinking the dispute between, for example, the publishing industry and Google is completely new, the copyright wars in fact stretch back three centuries―and their history is essential to understanding today’s battles. The Copyright Wars―the first major trans-Atlantic history of copyright from its origins to today―tells this important story.”

Art superstar Natalie Featherston was hunting down some info on adjustable palette holders/arms that could be attached to her easel. Many group members put forward devices they have found great success with. Anthony uses the Manfrotto Variable Friction Magic Arm (without Camera Bracket) along with two Manfrotto Super Clamps (without Stud.)

Clamps, however, might not be suitable for glass palettes so other options would have to be explored. Several of our artists like Otto Stürcke, actually use iPad attachments for this purpose. His specific device of choice is the Hoverbar Duo. Mark McDermott recommended attaching a female camera component with rear view mirror adhesive like this: Loctite 37438 Rearview Mirror Adhesive Kit to the glass palette so that it may be attached to something like: Manfrotto 244RC Variable Friction Magic Arm Quick Release.

Alla prima Challenges.
NEXT SESSION: MARCH 23, 2023

In between our bi-weekly Artist Round Table Sessions feel free to come and join the discussions on Smartermarx.