Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Session Follow-Up Newsletter (04-02-2023)

Greetings, you are receiving this newsletter because you are registered for our Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Sessions. We will be sending a follow-up newsletter like this after each session to highlight the key points discussed during the roundtable.

Unfortunately, we have to start our newsletter with sad news. Dennis Delomba, a dear member of our round table Zoom group has sadly passed. For anyone who would like to leave condolences for his family, you can do it HERE. For more on Dennis’ life, art, and endeavors, please follow this LINK.

“Painting has become a place in which I analyze, relive, and re-experience life events in both the most complex and primal languages. For me, painting is the ultimate challenge. The most comprehensive voice, and the most connective encounter of all the fragments and layers of the scattered self. Looking over human history, I can see nothing better than to be a powerful painter.”

Dennis Delomba

Congratulations to Natalie Featherston! Her painting Nestled (6x6x2", Oil on 3D Panel) took first place in Richeson 75 International Small Works Show. For a full list of winners and to view the online gallery, please follow the LINK.

Congratulations to Sirkka Linnea! Her painting has been selected as a finalist in the PortraitNow! 2023 competition and it will be exhibited in the Frederiksborg Castle in Denmark this summer.

The deadline is fast approaching for the 32nd International Miniature Art Show at Seaside Art Gallery in Nags Head, NC. If you would like to submit your work, please see the PROSPECTUS. Debra Keirce is one of the judges - so you might get an extra point :wink: There will be over 500 works of art on display. To view some of the works that have been arriving at the gallery, please follow the LINK. Show dates: April 29th - May 27th, 2023

Congratulations to Debra Keirce! Her painting Catch 22 (12x24", Oil on Panel) was juried into the International Guild of Realism exhibition at Sugarman Peterson Gallery in Santa Fe, NM. The International Guild of Realism’s primary mission is to advance realism in fine art through museum exhibitions, art gallery shows, workshops, and education programs conducted by our members, marketing support, and internet exposure. There will be over 90 stunning works by IGOR artists on display. Exhibition Dates: June 2nd - 26th, 2023.

Debra Keirce will have to give a workshop on how she gets into these situations/commissions :). Check out the WRITE-UP about her recent and very unusual commission.
“I could never have imagined that someone would ask me to paint images of their choosing on 11 pairs of antique glasses. In fact, when my collector first contacted me, I thought it might be one of the spam emails that make their way into my inbox each day asking me to paint artwork for them. I’m so glad I have learned not to ignore those emails.”

Debra Keirce

One more piece of news for Debra, and then we are moving on to the next superstar. Debra will be teaching her next workshop at the Albrecht Kemper Museum in St. Joseph, MO, on June 26, 27, and 28. In this three-day The Fabric of a Still Life Painting workshop, students will spend the first-day exploring different fabric textures and folds in a still life. By the end of the workshop, students will have learned the essential steps to creating a realistic painting. Students will be working from photographs provided by the teacher in order to focus on painting techniques instead of drawing.

There is still time to sign up for Julie’s workshops.
Social Media for Creatives Saturday, April 8th.
Indirect Painting at Snow College in UTAH! June 12-16, 2023

Julie Beck is featured in Sarah’s Sedwick book Dynamic Still Life for Artists: A Modern Guide to Essential Concepts and Techniques. Sarah Sedwick is a prolific painter of still lifes in a style she called “Loose Realism.” Expressive brushwork, brilliant color, and dynamic compositions are her goals in both painting and teaching.

Also, if you need more reading material Julie has a blog post with the recommendations: Julie’s Recommended Reading Lists

Congratulations to Deborah Kommalan! Her painting Extra Sprinkles (9x2x2", Oil on Cradled Panel) is also was accepted into the International Guild of Realism exhibition at Sugarman Peterson Gallery in Santa Fe, NM. Her work, along with Debra’s Keirce work, will be on display June 2nd - 26th, 2023.

A big thank you this week to Natalie Featherston and Diane Davich Craig for facilitating a great discussion about Instagram procedures and strategies for artists. I am also glad to report that I think we’ve roped in Natalie and Julie Beck to answer many of our questions for the next round table Zoom session. (04.16.2023). Please send your questions to Julie HERE.

For those that were following along with the conversation, here are a few key aspects that you may want to look into:
1. Linktree: Linktree allows you to create a personalized and customizable page that houses all the important links that you want to share with your audience. It’s a link-in-bio solution that can be used on social platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, and more. You should use Linktree to aid the discovery of your work, brand, or business.
2. Insightsforartists: the Instagram coaching resource run by Dina Brodsky.

We also spoke about the process of Instagram subway artist Devon Rodriguez. Devon Rodriguez is an American artist and painter from the South Bronx, New York City. He initially gained recognition for painting a series of realistic portraits, on the New York City Subway system. If you would like to learn more about this artist’s work you can visit: New York City Artist, or @devonrodriguezart. Some argue that his subway portrait drawings are staged, stating that there is not enough time to create a realistic portrait of a shaking train. One artist even made a video to this point–check out this video, and decide for yourself: The TRUTH about Devon Rodriguez.

Alla prima Challenges.
NEXT SESSION: APRIL 13, 2023

In between our bi-weekly Artist Round Table Sessions feel free to come and join the discussions on Smartermarx.

Remember you can always send in questions for discussion to this email address in advance of the session.
If for any reason you no longer wish to receive notifications about these sessions click Unsubscribe.
(we can re-add it anytime!)

Copyright © 2023 Anthony Waichulis, All rights reserved.*