Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Session Follow-Up Newsletter (03-21-2021)

Artist Round Table Zoom Bi-Monthly Sessions Follow Up Newsletter

Greetings, you are receiving this newsletter because you are registered for our Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Sessions. We will be sending a follow-up newsletter like this after each session to highlight the key points that were discussed. We hope that you are having a great and art-productive week! Thank you Debra Kierce for starting our Artist Spotlight segments. It was wonderful to find out more about you and your art career. Debra has some exciting news this week as well. Her works from the “I Love…” painting series will be a part of the travel show titled “The Big and the Small of It”. The exhibit is put together by the Women.Artists.Masters group. For more information about this traveling exhibit, please follow the LINK.

The Story of the North Carolina Shore is another traveling exhibit that Debra Kierce is a part of. The works featured in the show are inspired by the rich history of North Carolina’s shores. From pirates and lighthouses to marshes, native peoples, and the lost colony; the Outer Banks’ history will be celebrated.

We are beyond excited for Diane Davich Craig to get the commission of a lifetime! Diane was commissioned to paint two portraits to be hung in the Women’s Center at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. The first commission will be a portrait of the first female Dean of Vanderbilt University Margaret Cuninggim. The second portrait is of one of the first female students at Vanderbilt University, Stella Vaughn.

As expected nothing is slowing down our colleague Thomas Nash. Despite not able to paint at the moment due to a recent shoulder surgery, Thomas is busy at work making a full-scale giclée portrait of Otto and Fran Walter he painted back in 2011. The original painting is hanging at the new Walter Hall Music Building at Muskingum University, New Concord, Ohio. To get a closer look at Thomas’ process please follow the LINK.

Congratulations to Karen A. Budan on being chosen to participate in NOAPS Best of America Small Works 2021 hosted by the Principle Gallery in Charleston, South Carolina. Karen’s painting Time and Money (20x16" oil on panel) will be on display from May 7th, untill June 1st, 2021 along with an array of other talented artists.

Thank you Thomas Nash for recommending Jack Faragasso’s The Student’s Guide to Painting. For more on flesh tones and Reilly system please refer to the book.

Thank you Debra Kierce for recommending Krylon Kamar Spray Varnish.

“When to Varnish How long should an oil painting dry before varnishing?” By Artist and Chemist Chuck Mauldin.

Thank you Julie Beck for recommending the How to paint the skin with Howard Lyon lecture. For anyone who is interested in flesh tone techniques please follow the LINK to purchase the video.

Let’s see who can beat Tracy Gardner and her collection of paints. Please send your entries to aaaw.anyadrs@gmail.com

For Smartermarx members revisit the article titled How long do I wait before varnishing an oil painting? that Anthony posted in 2017.

Laurie Szilvagyi recently gave a zoom presentation Up Your Game in Graphite at the Art Guild of Tellico. The focus of the presentation was to reinforce sketch principles, and to stress the importance of good drawing skills and habits through deliberate practice and exploration. Laurie showed examples of her work and encouraged participants to explore different surfaces with graphite. Surfaces like Claybord and Toned paper.

Congratulations to Natalie Featherston for being selected for Jackson’s Painting Prize Longlist. Her painting Fight Like a Girl (24x24", oil on panel) was chosen among thousands of entries. Jackson’s Painting Prize exists to champion exceptional artworks made by international creators, with tailored prizes aimed to give successful applicants the exposure and resources that are most relevant to them.

Check out this video Anthony made titled Drawing Paper Surface Burnish Fix . It is a method to establish a usable tooth on a drawing surface that will no longer accept material due to the diminishment, or “burnishing,” of the paper’s tooth. Paper used: Canson Mi-Teintes Drawing Paper (98lb press.)

Williamsburg Handmade Oils Special Edition Colors that were mentioned this past zoom session.

Understanding color bracketing. Color bracketing is the practice of mixing a target color by flanking the target with hue components of equal value. Below is a link to Paul Foxton’s walkthrough of color bracketing on his website Learning to See. This page also contains an introduction to the Munsell system.
Here are the two videos mentioned on Sunday regarding color bracketing:
Paul Foxton: Colour Mixing for Oil and Acrylic Painters
Tom Mulliner: Easy color mixing method: Bracketing

Another video mentioned this past Sunday was a lecture of flesh tones by artist and educator Neilson Carlin. Here are the links to that lecture:
Application of the Color Wheel to Painting Flesh, Part 1
Application of the Color Wheel to Still Life, Part 2

If you have recently completed or sold work, and the topic did not come up during the session, you can always send it to me directly to be featured in the follow-up newsletter. Anya at aaaw.anyadrs@gmail.com

In between our bi-weekly Artist Round Table Sessions feel free to come and join the discussions on Smartermarx.

Hello!
I have some questions about these bi-monthly zoom sessions:

How long do they take?
Can anyone join in?
Are they recorded so that they can be viewed later by non-participants?

Thank you !

1 Like

Hi Simon,

The sessions run every other Sunday from 10am to 12pm EST. Anyone can join as long as they have the invitation link. Should you decide you might like to join I can add you to the invite list (there is no obligation to join any session if on the invite list.)

Sessions are not recorded (and Zoom recording is disabled) so that participants may speak openly about any topics they like and have no fear of the video being shared.

Let me know if you would like to be added. All I need is your email address,

Best,

Anthony

Ah, that’s a bummer.
10am EST is 11pm Japan time… which is past my bedtime.

I’ll be sure to check out these follow-up newsletters instead!

1 Like