Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Session Follow-Up Newsletter (09-18-2022)

Greetings, you are receiving this newsletter because you are registered for our Artist Round Table Bi-Monthly Zoom Sessions. We will be sending a follow-up newsletter like this after each session to highlight the key points discussed during the roundtable.

If any of our members made it to ARC Salon semi-finalist list - congratulations! ARC received over 5,400 entries this year from 75 countries. 40%, 2,152 works have been selected as semi-finalists. Good luck in the next round!

During a good portion of the last week’s zoom session, Anthony spent time with John McCuin, Thomas Nash, and Suzanne Batchelor, talking about the nature of art and the impact of technology on it. Below is a paper that Maneesh Yadav shared with Anthony that some of you may find interesting. Can Computers Create Art?

The topic of AI Image Generators came up again this past session. To know more, check out the Smartermax article: No, AI Image Generators are not a Threat to the Arts.
There are a lot of AI Image Generator software available, below are just a few:
Midjourney
Stable Diffusion
Dream by Wombo
Dall-E
Starry-ai
Nightcafe

Thank you, Alexandra Smith, for mentioning a number of online resources for art education. Below is a list of just a few.
Carlin Academy
Schoolism
Watts Atelier
Kara Bullock Art School
Domestika
Proko
CG Master Academy
Draw a Box
Aaron Blaise Art Classes

Book that may be of interest after this past week’s discussion: Logic - A Complete Introduction by Siu-Fan Lee.

“I was looking for a good refresher on the subject, and I found this to be just that. The book starts with a great introduction and overview of the meaning, leading up to two engaging, straightforward chapters on categorical and propositional logic (although while I totally dig fiddling with the square of opposition, truth tables, and Venn diagrams—I am not a big fan of natural deduction for propositional logic as it is far more memorization than I cared to invest here.) The chapter on predicate logic started out straightforward enough but quickly seemed to ramp up to rather complicated before I knew it. Predicate also requires significant rule-memorization (inference and deduction) when you really get going, which might seem daunting initially (if you are not familiar with it.) Oddly, there were a few tiny errors here and there that might confuse the reader—but overall, I thought it was a great jump into the subject.” Anthony Waichulis

EXHIBITION ALERT: Julie Beck and Diane Davich Craig will participate in the Birds and the Bees Show at Robert Lange Studios Gallery. The show is opening on October 7th!!!

Make sure you are one of the first ones to get your hand on Julie’s beck custom-designed Trekell limited edition brush set! If you subscribe to her newsletter, you can get early access from Oct 5th to October 7th. This set comprises the brushes she uses for building form and the refined details elements of all of her paintings.

Julie has been busy – as usual :slight_smile: Check out this video-podcast interview she did with Ryan Brown for the Unvarnished Podcast. They discuss a wide variety of topics, to watch the interview, please click HERE.

Julie’s Fox in the Hen House (16x20", Oil on Panel) is in Art Niche’s premier online release. Art Niche offers a monthly E-catalog that presents a pleasant viewing experience and a story about the art and the artist.

EXHIBITION ALERT: There is still time to see Vale Fall Art Show, Oakton, VA. The show is up till September 25th, and Debra Kierce has a couple of works you won’t want to miss!

An artist of note mentioned this week is painter extraordinaire Will Wison. Will is an American artist known for portrait paintings, illustrations, and Trompe L’Oeil works. His works are held in many prestigious national collections, including the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery. Check out his website via the link above to explore a great collection of his works.

ALSO—GREAT FIND! Anthony found this vintage book at a local second-hand store–it definitely looks like a must-read for the serious artist. (Click the image to get a better look at this self-help masterpiece.)

In between our bi-weekly Artist Round Table Sessions feel free to come and join the discussions on Smartermarx.