“In pursuit of happiness”

“In Pursuit of Happiness”
Oil on board 12”x12”

Here is a painting I did a couple of years ago. The clown looks jovial in the bright colours, but is crying. The head is cracked symbolizing a brokenness within. He is surrounded by the vices that make us happy temporarily, but too much of a good thing only leads to more unhappiness. He is positioned low on the board to signify his diminished state.
I just lucked out in this painting how the stripes on the clothing match the stripes on the crushed beer can!!

Thanks for taking the time to look!

8 Likes

What a fantastic work Tracy! I find the subject matter and the composition to be an excellent manifestation of your intent. On a technical note—the way you communicated the glossy texture of the clown’s head with those few subtle highlights is just stunning. Bravo! :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you Anthony, I’m always so hesitant on showing my work, your comment is encouraging. I still have to learn to soften up a lot more, though. Thanks for the forum and feedback!!

1 Like

Wow! Would love to know the secret on making the clown’s hair look so real. Love the face too!

2 Likes

This is so well executed Tracy in drawing skills and surface textures very believable! Makes me sad, as I can feel darkness and a sense of trying to “get up”. You have communicated your intent well​:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Anthony!!

Thank you, Diane! It was just a stiffer brush laying down a few lighter strokes. Not much, really.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Nanci!

1 Like