Martin - Gradation Blocks

I’ve done a couple of these now, the first wasn’t great as I didn’t go dark enough past the shadow line and I had a lack of chalk/charcoal media in the transition between values. My second attempt went better, although I wish I hadn’t done this on the bumpy side of the paper as I’m fighting the texture and having to build up a lot of material in the pitted grain which takes a while. Going to try a different gradation block next. Really enjoy trying to control the larger scale of these though and the fine-tuning involved. I expect I’ll appreciate the smooth side of the paper a lot when I get to it. Let me know if anything looks ‘off’ or I should be paying attention to anything in particular :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks GREAT!

1 Like

Nice job Martin!!! Looking great----pretty brave jumping into the rough side first. Don’t forget that we have some hi-res examples of these exercises available so that you can get a better idea of finish. They are here: Language of Drawing Exercise Collection

1 Like

I eventually finished this half sheet after it hanging on my wall for months. It’s not too good but having watched Anthony’s recent video Pits and a Pendulum: Dynamic Pressure with Dry Media. on Vimeo I’m ready to start afresh on these!

last one on page close up:-

1 Like

Those previous ones are rubbish looking back, think I had inadvertently rushed them due to time constraints and maybe slightly to get off the bumpy side… Fresh sheet, smooth side:-

Got a feeling I was starting to wear the paper a touch too much in the middle but developing a feel for how this might work now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

looks nice

im getting back into studying

2 Likes

Definitely getting better all the time. I am going to do a pit-pendulum video for transitions as well. I just had to wrap up that last painting for the LA Art show. I’m on it though!

1 Like