Martin’s sketchbook

when i don’t have the set-up or time to get stuck into the LoD program, like tonight, I try to draw something, even if i only get a little way in, i can finish it next time, this one i’m leaving ‘as is’, as i got what i was after from it, i’ll save the rendering for when i know how to do it, getting far better likenesses nowadays, i know i still have a long way to go, but hey, of particular help was a post on this site about notans, refining the shoreline i think it was. really helped me focus on the shapes more and look at the overall scheme as interlocking patterns.

7 Likes

a quick and small copy (20-30 mins) after a Mucha self portrait. i didn’t have enough time to develop this as far as i should have liked (it needs a much bigger value range for example) but it came out looking similar and full of character which the original definitely does.

5 Likes

These look great Martin! :smiley:

quick selfie tonight

6 Likes

tried to do a quick sketch with generals charcoal pencil tonight, far rougher than the graphite, are these just better suited to larger scale drawing or should I simply be sharpening a lot throughout to get the finer lines i’m used to.

5 Likes

i love the style of the graphite one.

the charcoal just works a lot differently than graphite. a sharp point can help a lot, and a different approach to shading areas… but you’re probably only going to get a comparably smooth finish by blending black and white into each other. which until you get accustomed to it can be very challenging. it was for me anyway.

1 Like

haven’t had a chance to do more pressure scales (got my paper and drawing board all prepped for it though) but christened a new sketchbook tonight - figured this would aid in identification if it ever goes walkabout:-

5 Likes

I haven’t had much time for art lately, but did manage to do this small painting of my little boy sleeping:-

I have regained access to my easel now and stuck my drawing board on it tonight, so there will definitely be some more dark pressure scale practice incoming :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome Martin! :smiley:

And another one!

5 Likes

I’ve only done a couple of actual sketches lately and also been neglecting my LoD progress, but no more, my drawing board is back on the easel now that I have finished this cheeky painting (as a present for my mother) tried a more piece by piece finish as you go, scott waddell style approach to this and quite enjoyed it:-

I also tried a seascape on a rare day off which I struggled with all the way, so much to learn… but it at least does look halfway like sand, sea and sky, and I don’t seem to be able to paint anything without putting my little boy in it either. So onward to some wholesome light pressure scale exercises.

4 Likes

Great Stuff. I especially like the seascape. I think you’re being to harsh on yourself. It’s very effective. I can never get the colours right on landscapes and seascapes.

1 Like

Thanks Thomas!

1 Like

Did a small sketch of Peter from Dawn of the Dead last night. I’ve been enjoying the Goblin soundtrack from the movie while I work from home (in between sneaking in a pressure scale or two) suitably dystopian/apocalyptic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Love it (and the movie as well!)

1 Like

This isn’t exactly a sketchbook thing, but my 5 year old liked the look of the Warhammer Age of Sigmar advert for Games Workshop that’s been on in the UK lately and seeing as I used to paint those little miniatures and the odd airfix model when I was a boy I got some for us to try (and I still had my 25 year old pots of citadel paint which had miraculously not dried up) and here’s my wizard-knight dude!

There’s some really tiny details, and painting around a 3D form with limiting angles of attack is quite a challenge, then there’s whether to approach a directional light effect, when the model is subject to real world light effect, not to mention how quickly the acrylic paint dries (it will dry on the brush within about 30 seconds if you don’t keep washing it out - awful stuff) which makes blending and working wet into wet almost impossible, but it does make you try and be creative with it - watering down paints, working really fast, dry-brushing, etc. But I can’t wait to get back to oils and working on a slightly larger scale now!

3 Likes

Did an eye study from one of Scott Waddell’s videos today, I fought with the canvas weave a lot (it was a cheap bit of panel I had lurking about and I hadn’t anticipated this was as rough as it turned out to be) and there are at least a few things I’d correct now but I’m still real pleased with it.

4 Likes

Wonderful Martin! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

haven’t touched a pencil or paintbrush for a few weeks. disgraceful i know, have had a rubbish time of it, but pleased to say i put a stop to the art drought today and bashed out another eye study to get back into the groove, hopefully a far more productive month awaits… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wonderful Martin! Now get back to the easel~~~~ :laughing:

1 Like