Question on Color

Firstly I just realized I am using ivory black as opposed to Lamp black (which I just ordered on amazon). Is there a major difference. What I am also curious about is if I am painting a lemon or pear, Would I still start with black in the shadow and use yellow or green to blend into the transition. In the shadow of these fruits when I look at my reference photos it doesn’t seem like it would naturally blend with black. in a green pear the shadow looks more to me like a dark brown. Or is it a matter of putting down the black and then gently working lighter colors over it?

sometimes I read that people frown on using black to blend shadows but I am blocking all of that out as I know this program is proven to create amazing results. beyond anything I have ever seen from others.

I wasn’t sure if the exercises that I have been doing in transitioning colors to black were just to keeps things consistent in practice. Is it applicable to actually paintings that we may be doing on the side of these exercises. (strictly speaking transitioning colors to black in the shadows of things like fruit or other items).

As always no rush to respond to this. appreciate any help. incredible community you have created. happy to be part of it.

1 Like

lamp black has bluish tint than ivory black which has brownish tint. You can use whatever black you like as long as you know what you’re working with and having knowledge of the behavior of your colors and how they look like. Again as been mentioned on social media and may be in this forum, you have to practice on your colors and have knowledge. Both are essential components to know what you will do. Hope that answers your question in general.