Still Life with Skull

Hi everyone! This is my first skull drawing. It’s pastel on Pastelmat, 12,5x15". I wanted to draw a skull for soooo long! It’s not done yet, need to work the tablecloth much more and some other stuff but I wanted to share it with you and I would appreciate any thoughts about everything. I mean color, composition, technique etc. I am not sure about it… I made changes from the original photo and this is difficult for me. I am not sure about the background. Do you think dark backgrouwn would be better? Anyway, thank you for your time. Wishing you a wonderful week and I am looking forward for your critique. (iPhone shot)

4 Likes

I think I am done. Any thoughts? Thank you! This photo was taken with my camera.

4 Likes

Super job, and what a lot of different textures and surfaces you’ve taken on. I like the light background, there are thousands of skulls all painted with a dark background in the tenebrist aesthetic, so this makes a nice change.

1 Like

Hi Martin, thanks so much for the lovely comment and for your time to respond. I am glad you like it. Have a wonderful day!

1 Like

Great job Irene! I absolutely love painting bone—it is a fascinating texture. What would you say was the most challenging aspect of this for you?

2 Likes

Hi Anthony, so glad you approve. Your skulls are amazing. Well the most challenging aspect was the tablecloth.

2 Likes

Really? Well it looks like it was handled confidently.

1 Like

I am always frustrated when I start drawing clothes and portraits. Lot’s of effort there. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated! Have a creative rest of the day!

1 Like