Trump L'oeil

Finished with my first currency painting, “Trump L’oeil”, 8"x8", oil on panel. Huge thank you to Anthony for your mentorship, critique, and for generously answering my various questions. I learned a lot in making this painting. I hope you enjoy.

18 Likes

Again, a HUGE congratulations on this John. You really hit this out of the park. I am thrilled to see you bring this level of performance to your first Trompe L’oeil piece. Here’s to many more my friend!

2 Likes

Look at this guy hammin it up! LOL!

3 Likes

Nice work John. I am amazed by the level of detail. Did you use a magnifying glass to paint this?

1 Like

Absolutely. Presbyopia forces that on me. That being said, there’s a downside to magifiers if you aren’t careful.

Pre-critique, smiles. Post-critique, I was a sobbing inconsolable mess.

I kid. Anthony gave me some great suggestions that made the piece stronger and read as more dimensional. Fantastic critique.

1 Like

Wow, great skills, a fabulous piece!!

1 Like

Thanks Tracy!

Thanks. And if I may ask, what kind of “magnifier” do you use, or is it just glasses?

Marc,

It depends upon the level of magnification I need. I try not to use magnifiers unless I have to, and I try to use the lowest power needed. So my tiers are:

1. Naked eye
  2. Reading glasses
  3. Magnifiers (they have different lenses you can put in as well as an LED light; there are several sellers on Amazon selling basically the same product; below is just one example)

Amazon.com: Headband Mount Magnifier LED Illuminated Head Magnifying Glass Jeweler’s Loupe Light Bracket Interchangeable…
Buy Headband Mount Magnifier LED Illuminated Head Magnifying Glass Jeweler’s Loupe Light Bracket Interchangeable 5 Replaceable Lenses:1.0X/1.5X/2.0X/2.5X/3.5X: Magnifying Tools - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible…
amazon.com
Mixmax

I hope that helps!

John

1 Like

Thanks John!

2 Likes

Mark I should have shared this original image of John with his other painting glasses on… :laughing:

9 Likes

I just noticed the name!!! What a spectacular piece of work John!

1 Like

Hilarious!

1 Like

That will become my Facebook profile picture at some point. Lol. I think it is hilarious. I hope you don’t mind if we tease back with images.

Thanks Diane!

I’d be highly disappointed if you didn’t John! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good. I’ve had one from a while back, but I didn’t know if you were sensitive.

1 Like

This is a stunning piece, John. I feel fortunate that I was able to see it “in person”. I’m not sure I’ll ever reach this level, I’m too impatient.

2 Likes

I want to see the teasing picture of Tony. Post it please.

2 Likes