Vase study

Hi all!

Here’s a recent graphite study I’m calling done for now. Really tried to slow down and focus on modeling the form at a high resolution. Learned a ton in the process—can’t wait for my next study.

A couple notes:

• I started this in a class where the teacher had us just keep the shadows flat and model the form in the light. So there’s definitely reflected light missing (intentionally).
  • There’s a small linear dent in the paper cutting across the shadow near the mouth of the vase. From a piece of equipment that fell in the studio :grimacing:. It doesn’t show in most overhead light, but does show up on the scanner.

Would love any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I think it’s a great success Tim. The structural variations in the handle and slight/subtle contour anomaly on the base seem to really breathe some nice character into the subject. Bravo my friend!

1 Like

Thanks, Anthony! :slight_smile:

There’s something very appealing about the lighter grey tones. Really like this. My only comment is, maybe give it a cast shadow so that it looks like it’s resting on something instead of floating in space? Personal choice but I think it might help ground it a bit more.

Yes, totally fair point! Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: