"Joyful Memories of Childhood", pastel on pastelmat, 14x11"

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!! I hope you like my new pastel.
WIP is iPhone shot. The finished work is with my camera (a SONY automatic something, nothing special). I am a lousy photographer anyway. I have used Carbothello, Derwent, Pitt, Conte pastel pencils and Unison, Richeson handmade and Rembrandt pastels. Support Pastelmat. The photo of the finished piece is 2MB. It was impossible to upload larger file today. Bad connection. So, I would appreciate any thoughts.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the WIP images here Irene. I love seeing how others approach subjects that I am personally drawn to. Wonderful work as always! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much Anthony! I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I am glad you like it. :blush: I had fun drawing this. This work is all about my generation. I grew up with Mickey and Goofy. Happy memories from my Childhood…

1 Like

This is spectacular. The only thing that looks like it might need a bit more detail work to match the rest of the level of the work is the green die. For some reason, that part stands apart to me. I love the composition, I love the colors, the chaos, the textures, and the JOY of it!

2 Likes

I wonder if it is the level of contrast on the die spots Alexandra?

1 Like

That may have something to do with it. I can’t tell if the die is plastic or wood—which may have to do with the rendering of the top plane. The marbles, the game pieces are clearly glass and plastic. The blocks are clearly wood. So this ambiguity and makes the die stand out to me. Particularly since the rest of it is so clear the way it reads to my brain.

2 Likes

Brilliant as usual. Your works are always so colourful!

2 Likes

Thank you Thomas!

1 Like

Hi Alexandra, I hear you. So, the die is wooden And I am posting a photo of it so you can see how it looks. The work is also kinda small, 14x11" so you can imagine how small is the die. I worked it a bit more. Anyway, I don’t know if now it looks more realistic or if it’s worse. It won’t get more pastel layers. I am afraid that if I work more it will be ruined. LOL! I am not brave enough.

I am posting an iPhone pic. I worked a bit on the die. I would love to hear your opinion too Anthony. Thank you for taking the time.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to comment and give me your opinion. Much appreciated. :blush: