Patricks warmup @ studies

4 Likes

i am trying to do these standing but i am struggling.

2 Likes

your line pressure is great. i had trouble getting used to drawing stood up too, it seems most unnatural at first - i also found that limited space to the left and right of my paper (my easel is in a corner) made it tricky for me to move far enough and position my arm comfortably to draw things in the left third of the paper (i’m right handed). so trying to make your drawing position as comfortable as possible might help a lot if you’re in a similar situation. see if the height makes any difference too.

on the shape reps - your aim dots are pretty heavy, I don’t think I did them like that outside of the origin/destination exercise, just leave a whisper of a mark as a reference then draw your straight line to it almost as lightly, it’s far easier to correct if you’re off. as a bonus if you can erase it completely, it means you get more practice on the same sheet of paper which will help you improve further.

Ah, when I did my warmup lines I thought I figured out how to get a nice light line (using two fingers to hold the pencil) not working out right now for shape replications. I’m trying to do more shape replications right now actually. Hopefully I can do about 20 every morning and post it. Thanks for the advice, I’ll make the dots lighter from now on.

1 Like

I started using that tool to measure.

1 Like

good progress patrick, are you using the transparent sheets to overlay and then check/correct your shapes? it’s a good way to keep yourself precise and is very encouraging when you get it spot on.

i found doing a couple of practice strokes (without the pencil touching the paper) before drawing the intended line improved my accuracy somewhat too.

keep it going - nice work!

1 Like

Nope, drawing is a disaster. right now, I’m just hoping I can get up each morning and complete a few rows and post it. Im hoping to just get comfortable, and once I finish a sheet I’ll try and correct em. Using the overlay. I’ll probably be doing shape replicas for at least 2 months, idk :confused:

2 Likes

i’m at a similar position with my value scales, sometimes getting a chance to do just a few individual scales a week. slow progress but it’s sure better than not doing it at all.

you might find it less of a grind to do your corrections as you go, you’re on less of a production line that way, and when you reach the bottom of the paper - you’re done :slight_smile: but however you proceed, keep doing it - it will be worth the effort.

Two more rows done. Today I was sitting. Lines are still wobbly, no compass used.

I need a good easel light.

2 Likes

Next exercise post will be this evening.

2 Likes

Bravo Patrick! As you know—these exercises are supposed to really challenge you. Don’t be afraid to keep resistance up (e.g., no measurements or anchor points aside from the bounding box itself initially). For the sake of confidence in when to use and when not to use a measurement device here:

First—no amount of practice will allow your visual system to see “more accurately.” However, what certain types of practice in the realm of observational representationalism CAN do in this arena is the establish and reinforce specific visuomotor responses to specific types of visual information. So in regards to shape replications (an exercise designed to do just this!)—you are working to make seemingly reflexive associations between perceptions of lines in certain orientations and mark marking motions that we could describe as “corresponding.” Now if you find that you cannot achieve this correspondence early on—then by all means use the measurement tool to add anchor dots (as found with the origin-destination exercise) and connect them so that you may EXPERIENCE the line motion that you are trying to marry to the observation. When you think you have the “feel” for the line making motion that you want—try it without the anchor dots. This is how you make the most of the SR exercise.

As I have said in the past—this program is all about influencing the brain to make changes that will be more conducive to effective, efficient, and deliberate visual communication.

Looking forward to seeing your development!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice boss. I’ll try to adhere to those points.

The last 2 days I was sitting and I found I can apply proper line weight. Horizontal and vertical are a problem, most likely a confidence issue. Hopefully when I stand back up my line weight improves.

Next session I will start corrections.

2 Likes

Good thing I re read this. I will just keep the anchor points in my imagination.

1 Like

YES!!! That line weight is where you should be heading. Bravo!!!