Wip of Gypsy Heart for Abend Gallery

Hi all,

Not allowed to pist this yet but this is my safe zone:-)

This is an 8x10… really tough for me painting small as I love big!

There will be another to follow with same midel but larger.

I just have the patterned top which i hope to complete tomorrow. I found using Anthony’s method of shape to shape worked out perfect in this one. It is very detailed in the photo but not sure I will paint all the skinny curvy lines in yellows. I think if it has to be 1200 and under, this is a hetter way to go… thoughts?

5 Likes

this is looking great. i personally like the balance of detail between the face with the dress as is, it’ll be impressive however you advance it mind. thanks for posting your stages too, its very helpful and useful in seeing how you approached and refined it. Is there any process specific rules to anthony’s shape to shape method, or is it just as it sounds and you’re finding adjoining shapes and constructing each one before moving further on in a jigsaw fashion?

1 Like

Stunning, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you Martin. I will do another pass today and considering not making it very finished and keeping edges soft and blurring smoky atmosphere from shoulders to bottom to almost fading out bottom.
Thanks for your input! I was thinking that abput the balance.
The process I usually use is blocking in general local values and in second layer putting colors and shapes together.
In this instance, because I have been doing shape replication exercises, I wanted to try it going shape for shape as precise as I could with paint. Also, because I did Tony’s gradation exercises at his workshop, it helped with this almost double light source. I kept thinking especially of the black and white gradation block to get shadow to the explosion of light on our left to a silver reflector used on our right.
Why did I choose that? To create a feeling of mystical drama and mood of a gypsy heart which is a person of bohemian free spirit. The darkness represents emerging from the mystery.

1 Like

Thx so much Irene!

1 Like

wow what a lot of careful thought has gone into that, very cool, thanks for the info.

1 Like

Super cool Nanci. Again, I am always taken with the amount of thought that you put into a piece. Bravo once again~~~~ :heart:

1 Like

:heart::woman_cartwheeling::cookie::raising_hand_woman::sun_with_face: thank you again Tony!

Another great piece, Nanci! I too, love the tightness of the face and hair, then simplifying and blurring out the shawl to the bottom, especially with the right hand side!! Thanks for the sneak peek!

1 Like

thank you so much Tracy! I just finished it and sent it in for Abend now! I am posting the finish on artist gallery! check out what I did and hope it isn"t too rough loose lol

1 Like